Skip to main content

LET'S TALK ABOUT SELF LOVE #ThursdayThoughts

Pinch, punch first of the month, happy June babes!

2017 is flying by and I'm struggling to catch it, sometimes it feels like I'm running of a treadmill and although I'm just about keeping up, the speed is slightly too high and there are moments when my little legs are struggling to carry me forward. I'm currently half way through my external AS exams in Biology and Chemistry: two down, two to go (wish me luck!) and the little friend that is stress keeps popping up at the most inconvenient of times so June is becoming my month of self love. If I've learnt anything this year it's to start caring for yourself and doing things to make you happy (nurture your mind) and healthy (your body is a temple). Note: happiness and health are no one size fits all and what works for you/me/anyone won't always work for someone else.

Self care, self love, self anything is really really difficult. I try to put so much help and energy into other people that I often forget to take time for myself and I don't think that's the best way to go about life because at the end of the day we are all we have and there's only so much someone else can do for you and you can do for them (most things work both ways). Life is a balancing act and I'm a set of scales, on one side it's just me and on the other side it's everyone else.

I've come to the conclusion recently that how we think and how we feel aren't that related. Like correlation isn't necessarily causation. Although my mindset does have a little impact on how I react and feel about things, most of the time I can't really help how I feel it's just a part of me and who I am. For someone else that might mean they feel angry when I feel sad in a certain situation and that is perfectly okay. I learnt in May to accept that's who I am: more emotional than most, but that's okay and it's been another step on the ladder up to more self love, which (as I've said) is what the month of June is going to be.

I, like many people I'm sure, have little things in my life that make me happier and improve how I feel. A key one for myself (and as it seems to be with most bloggers, which is great because it's always nice to find people with something in common) is having a bath or pamper night. Sadly, I haven't been able to run myself a bath recently due to work on our bathroom but good things come to those who wait and I have a whole collection of bath bombs, bubble bars and face masks to use when I can and looking forward to that excites me, as small as it is. Learning to love yourself is one massive journey and I don't know if it can ever been 'completed' but it's definitely worth a try and being happy is most certainly a better feeling than sadness or doubt. I very strongly believe that all the little things we do contribute to how we feel overall and although somethings are totally out of control accepting other things leads to more love for ourselves. When we have more love for ourselves I also think we develop more love for the world, something that is very much needed at the moment.

I find I work best when I set myself little targets and goals or things to look forward to. That's when I get things done and see results in all areas of my life. I'm going to apply that logic this month and have set myself three little goals which will, hopefully, lead to more happy feelings and therefore more love and positivity for and within myself.
1 - EAT. Sounds small but for me it's not just going to be about how much I eat but also what I eat. Fruit and vegetables, of course, are an essential. My friend did, in fact, inform me today that Bananas aid in happiness levels (she's doing A Level Psychology - smart cookie!) and I've done a little bit of reading on it. The Vitamin B6 level in bananas aids with the synthesis (making) of serotonin (which some researchers believe is a chemical for mood balance). So I'm going to be eating a few more bananas!
2 - SLEEP. Again, seems basic but is important. Some research suggests that we have a decreased ability to regulate anger and other negative feelings so I'm going to catch some zzzz's.
3 - TIME. Spending time with friends and family and time for myself. I'll set days and times when I know I'll be going out to lunch with my mates or watching a film with my sister or simply having an hour to myself to have a bath!

I would love to know what you do to show yourself self love in the comments below.
much love, Em xo

A few sources I used throughout this post:
https://www.verywell.com/do-bananas-increase-serotonin-1066923
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/between-you-and-me/201308/all-night-the-effects-sleep-loss-mood

Comments

  1. Totally agree with this post! I also am the sort of person who is happier by little things. Loved reading this post xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! Little things definitely make all the difference in life xo

      Delete
  2. Yasssssss GO BANANAS!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes girl! I love this post so much <3 self love is so important x
    www.britishmermaid.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youu, it so very much is!! x

      Delete
  4. wow I love your post! I agree when you said that self love is a journey. Even now, I'm still struggling in loving myself. I always tend to consider other people first than what I feel. It's like an anxiety or something. But, in my own small steps I'm trying to practice self love and I know it'll take time :)

    PS. Thanks for visiting my blog! Grateful to find your blog too! Happy to follow you :D

    trulyfionaa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's such a journey and I totally get you when you say it's like an anxiety, you worry about other people and not how it effects you... which is what we should consider more because that's not a selfish thing to do, it's an important and self loving thing to do xx

      Delete
  5. This post was great and I could relate a lot. I really need to work on my self love especially after a tough school year etc. Also lovely blog! <3

    Stella xx
    http://onegirlblogger.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)) School is super tough and we definitely need time for more and more self love xo

      Delete
  6. This is a great post! It's essential to love oneself and do pay attention to every dimention of it.

    Funmi x
    www.funmialabi.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely post, self love it so important!
    Grace xx
    http://gracexkate.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes to self love, love your post dear.
    xo, christianne
    http://simplychristianne.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck in your upcoming exams and thanks for this post.😊😊 Very soon, I'm due to have an impactful(if there's such a word)exam which affects my grading for the Summer as well as my designated set. So I'm gonna need all the tips I can get.😊

    #sweetreats xx www.bakingboutiquebirds.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of Luck lovely! I hope it goes well for you, I might pop up a post to do with exams soon :) xx

      Delete
  10. I completely agree with what you said. Self-love is a journey. Positive changes doesn't happen overnight so it's good to take small steps.

    Good luck on your exams.

    Her Hive

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the fun fact about bananas,it looks like I'll be gorging on more during exam season(particularly next year when I do my GCSEs hehe).Great post as usual Em xx

    http://emsirose.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! Good Luck with your GCSEs next year xo

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blogs are like Trains

I never thought I'd be posting a blog post similar to this one because I try to make and take each blog post as their own and my blog itself seems to fall under no category but I feel I need to write this for myself. For my own piece of mind.

I started this blog over two years ago, in fact, almost three years and I guess time really does fly when you're having fun. Those two years have flown by so quickly and I've only really been writing for an audience, thanks to some of my social media platforms, for a year and, my oh my, has this little space grown. I've received comments on most of the posts I've published since and there are people who actively choose to come back and say hello every time I post (they're some of my favourite people ever). I've discovered more blogs that I ever imagined the Internet could hold and I've loved every single one of them. You can't help but compare yourself but, luckily, I don't feel I have to compete to be bette…

Passion #ThursdayThoughts

Hello lovely people,
I hope you're having a wonderful day and have spent moments doing something you really enjoy.
As you're reading this I am helping at my Sixth Form open evening and last Thursday I was doing the exact same, except that it was for the entire school. Whilst wondering the Chemistry department I came across a year 7 boy, short in height, friendly and, more than ever, passionate about what he was doing in that moment. 
He asked me: 'can I show you how to do this experiment?' and although, I've done the test for hydrogen many times over the course of my school career, I said yes because I could see the excitement in his eyes to talk me through what he was doing. As he added the Magnesium to the Hydrochloric acid I placed my thumb over the test tube and he lit a wooden splint in the bunsen burner. He swiftly brought the splint over and got me to move my hand a squeaky pop sound could be heard, indicating that hydrogen was present. Hearing the pop his …

A Day In My Life | Collaboration

I'm lucky, each day that goes by something totally different so when writing a day in my life post it's a little tricky to write about something which isn't consistent. So as much as today is the day I've chosen to share with you, it's not that 'normal' but something I enjoyed doing. This post is also a wonderful collaboration with Elizabeth from bethmay75.blogspot.co.uk! I'll leave all her links below so make sure to have a look and a read. 
07:40 - Wake up! So lovely not having to get up at 6am for work and having a lovely, refreshing nights sleep.
08:00 - Sit up! I spent a little time finishing off my vlog for today and uploading and publishing it on my vlogging channel 'Extra Emsi'.
09:00 - Shower time! A quick wash before getting dressed, doing my make up and hair.
09:30 - Walkies! Off on a dog walk with my happy pooch Ebony. I love her so very much.

10:00 - Breakfast! Has a toasted bagel with butter, delicious!

10:20 - Left my house to wa…