Skip to main content

SAND GRAINS: A GUIDE TO NOT LETTING LIFE SLIP THROUGH YOUR FINGERS #ThursdayThoughts

Today's post: a full guide to slowing down in a busy world and living for the most minutes of the day.


I'm not going to pretend to be an expert, I definitely don't know how to make the most out of every second of every day. I don't think anyone ever could. We need to make time for the 'boring' things which keep us healthy or happy. We also need to feel emotions, and when they're negative it's very hard to not feel like the we're wasting precious time, be assured you're not. However what I am going to say is that I'm trying to do is capture the best moments and living for the most minutes in our day by giving myself and my all to everything I do when I do it.

I've accepted that when I do that it may come across as obsessive, it may come across as full on, it may be too much at times but I'm going to live my life for me. Not you, not my neighbour, not my best friends or any boyfriend I ever have. As, you see, these people may (or may not *fingers crossed*) come and go and if I dedicate everything I do at that point fully to them then what will I have left if they ever do leave? (by no means am I saying they will but what I am saying is that time moves forward and it's another reason to look out for yourself) I'm a people pleaser so in some situations living for me will definitely include caring for my friends and going out of my way to help someone or do something I wouldn't automatically think to do. However, that is (again) my choice.

I don't want to let life slip through my fingers and granted, it sometimes will. If I scooped up some sand I'm not going to able to keep hold of every grain. The aim of this is to make sure the grains I do pick up don't slip and if that means picking up less grains so I can fully support the ones I have, so be it.

I've taken my time to pin point the ways and areas in my life of which I want to maximise my time, live productively and how I'm going to go about it. We're all full of dreams but if we never come up with a plan then we will never make those dreams our reality. 

ONE:
The way I feel I'll achieve the most and will be most effective in the long run is to forget how to multi task. Sounds a little crazy, I know, but we live in such a fast paced world where so much has to be done at once it becomes overwhelming. I'm overwhelmed. I once sat down with a friend and watched them pull up a Netflix show on their laptop, they then took out their phone and proceeded to check through all their social media: snapchat, instagram etc. At the time I thought 'ooh that looks fun' It looks relaxed, I'll give it ago and for a while I did it, I watched a YouTube video or the latest episode of my favourite Netflix series whilst scrolling through my twitter. I still, to this day, don't know why. Doing all of that feels like you're not actually doing anything. You're doing so much that you don't pay full attention to anything, you don't have the full enjoyment of discovering who A is and you don't fully appreciate the beautiful photo of a sunset an incredible photographer has just posted. You see it happen, you know it's happened but you didn't let it happen, you didn't feel the emotions that you would have felt if you were full invested. Everything becomes a blur, what's the point of doing any of it if you get nothing out of it? So, bye bye, multitasking. Yes, I have music on in the background whilst writing this post, but no, I'm not checking my phone and replying to any snapchats because I'll enjoy talking to my friends when that's all I'm doing.

TWO:
Doing things for necessity. If you haven't watched The Minimalists documentary Minimalism on Netflix I strongly recommend you do. (another recommended documentary: HAPPY) It's not a documentary that tells you that you have to get rid of everything, it's something that explains one way in which we can live for now and for us, that way being: minimalism. It's not made me convert to minimalism but it has made me a conscious consumer (I like that phrase) because I'm now more aware of what I'm buying, what I'm doing and, most importantly, why.

THREE:
I always seem to write in triples when I do blog posts. Three pieces of advice, three key points, triadic structure... I seem to swear by it, but funnily enough for this post I can't think of more ways (yet) that I'm going to catch life. So I'd love to hear from you, in the comments, for number three. How do you stop sand grains slipping through your fingers? What makes you tick and would you consider yourself a conscious consumer? I haven't given myself a definition for that term, it's just whether I believe I am and I do. So now I'm off to do one thing: something with purpose.

much love, em xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogs are like Trains

I never thought I'd be posting a blog post similar to this one because I try to make and take each blog post as their own and my blog itself seems to fall under no category but I feel I need to write this for myself. For my own piece of mind.

I started this blog over two years ago, in fact, almost three years and I guess time really does fly when you're having fun. Those two years have flown by so quickly and I've only really been writing for an audience, thanks to some of my social media platforms, for a year and, my oh my, has this little space grown. I've received comments on most of the posts I've published since and there are people who actively choose to come back and say hello every time I post (they're some of my favourite people ever). I've discovered more blogs that I ever imagined the Internet could hold and I've loved every single one of them. You can't help but compare yourself but, luckily, I don't feel I have to compete to be bette…

Passion #ThursdayThoughts

Hello lovely people,
I hope you're having a wonderful day and have spent moments doing something you really enjoy.
As you're reading this I am helping at my Sixth Form open evening and last Thursday I was doing the exact same, except that it was for the entire school. Whilst wondering the Chemistry department I came across a year 7 boy, short in height, friendly and, more than ever, passionate about what he was doing in that moment. 
He asked me: 'can I show you how to do this experiment?' and although, I've done the test for hydrogen many times over the course of my school career, I said yes because I could see the excitement in his eyes to talk me through what he was doing. As he added the Magnesium to the Hydrochloric acid I placed my thumb over the test tube and he lit a wooden splint in the bunsen burner. He swiftly brought the splint over and got me to move my hand a squeaky pop sound could be heard, indicating that hydrogen was present. Hearing the pop his …

A Day In My Life | Collaboration

I'm lucky, each day that goes by something totally different so when writing a day in my life post it's a little tricky to write about something which isn't consistent. So as much as today is the day I've chosen to share with you, it's not that 'normal' but something I enjoyed doing. This post is also a wonderful collaboration with Elizabeth from bethmay75.blogspot.co.uk! I'll leave all her links below so make sure to have a look and a read. 
07:40 - Wake up! So lovely not having to get up at 6am for work and having a lovely, refreshing nights sleep.
08:00 - Sit up! I spent a little time finishing off my vlog for today and uploading and publishing it on my vlogging channel 'Extra Emsi'.
09:00 - Shower time! A quick wash before getting dressed, doing my make up and hair.
09:30 - Walkies! Off on a dog walk with my happy pooch Ebony. I love her so very much.

10:00 - Breakfast! Has a toasted bagel with butter, delicious!

10:20 - Left my house to wa…