Skip to main content

BETTY BOX: THE PERFECT WAY TO TREAT YOURSELF

Happy September everyone! I can't believe we're already this far into 2017 but with the dawn of another month there's so much to look forward to. From back-to-school, which I know isn't everyone's cup of tea but something I think we should really cherish and be eternally grateful for: a good education, as well the leaves browning on the trees and the nearing of autumn (I'm SO super excited for this one but I'm going to save it for a while as we should probably embrace the the last moments of summer). However for most of us girls each month also brings about our periods. Yep, I said it with absolutely no shame, no skipping around it because to be quite frank it's a fact of life, it's healthy and it's normal. For some of us it really really sucks. I seem to be a lucky one that doesn't get too badly effected but I've been there: cramps, mood swings, pain and just generally feeling awful, so to anyone who is filled with dread of mother natures arrival: hugs, it really can suck.

I think for all those reasons that's why when Betty Box got in touch with me I jumped on it to work with them and produce my first ever post working with a brand (pretty crazy that blogging's come to that, it really is). Here is where I add the little disclaimer that although Betty Box have sent me this box for free (thank you, thank you, thank you!) all the opinions I'm voicing in this post are my own.


The idea behind Betty Box is that it's a subscription service so when that wonderful time comes around you're prepared. Not only has it got all the essentials in three neat little sections: for now, for later, for night but also (probably my favourite section): for you, which contains a selection of goodies - you guessed it: for YOU. To treat yourself and just receive something nice when you're feeling a bit rubbish.
The great thing about Betty box is that you can personalise your essentials, getting a choice between tampons, pads or both and then further refine it by choosing from some of the most popular brands, including body form and always.

I thought within this post I'd also give a little review and summary of the For You section of the August Box I've also decided to add the prices of each of these products and a little bit of information about them. Inside the box there's a booklet with information on each product but obviously I can't hand that to you to read!


- Spa To You Natural Konjac Sponge (£7.99) V
I've never heard of a Konjac Sponge and I'm excited to try it: 100% Natural Vegetable Fibre, 100% Biodegradable, No Animal products or added chemicals, preservatives and colours - sounds right up my street!

- Saturated Colour, Colour Switch (£9) CF
It's simply a white lipstick to mix or apply along with any lipstick to alter it's colour: sounds fun don't you think?

- Urban Veda Daily Purifying Facial Wash (£12.99 for 150ml) Ve / AAT / CF
I've never heard of this brand but this particular products looks good for oily skin, which I'm particularly prone to around that time of the month and as a teenager.

- My Flawless Blusher Brush (£9.99) Ve / AAT / CF
This is brush company I've never heard of before, however I will definitely be purchasing from them in the future. They're brushes are all PETA approved vegan and cruelty-free, not to mention eco-friendly, affordable and good quality.

- Stylondon Henna Tattoos (£5.99)
Adhesive, easy to remove tempory tattoos.

- The London Tea Company Purple Tea (£3 for 20 pack) FT / Ve
Purple tea is great for cramps, so it's great they've included products that you won't only enjoy but will also benefit you.

- Rhythm 108 Lemon and Ginger Biscuits (£12 for 12 packets: 24 biscuits) Ve
Vegan, Dairy-Free and Gluten-Free and delicious! I'm eating one right now and it's sooo good.

As you can see there's quite a range of products for you to try and a lot of them cost a lot more than the box itself, which if you ask me is a pretty good deal. I've also added some letter codes and I'll pop the key at the end of the post.


Two more important points:
1. I don't want to promote products on my blog that are tested on animals, I simply don't believe it's necessary when there are so many alternatives. It was key for me to discover Betty's stance on animal testing so here is the statement I got sent from their head office:
"We always aim to have cruelty free products in our boxes however it is harder to control this with bigger brands! I can't guarantee that all of the products inside the box will be cruelty free however the majority definitely will be! It is one of our most important aims when sourcing products for the box. We are strongly against any animals having been harmed or tested on and we wouldn't want to advertise this within our box. We in no way support this!"

2. This box does include food and there's so many different diet choices people follow, from vegan to vegetarian to eating meat and/or fish, as well as allergies of nuts, milk and gluten. I'm also aware that people also have specific dietary requirements due to health issues (eg: diabetes) too so it was important to me to enquire about this. Luckily the food is only a small portion of the box (one or two items) and this month it was all vegan. I've been informed that at other times it hasn't been and sadly there is no current way to tailor the box and any food it may contain to your personal needs. For example the biscuits in this box wouldn't have been suitable for nut allergy sufferers but were vegan and vegetarian. I've let Betty know my thoughts, so hopefully one day there might be a way to tailor the box.

Personally, I think this is a pretty great idea. It's something I'll be probably looking into more at uni due to being on a budget and getting so much for the price you pay.
xo


You can get your first box from Betty for £6.99 and each box after for £10.50. The subscription can be cancelled at any point. Head to: https://www.betty.me/subscription/#create-your-box  (this link is not monetised).
Although I was sent this box for free, all opinions are my own and I have not been additionally paid.

Key:
V - vegetarian
Ve - vegan
CF - cruelty free
AAT - against animal testing
FT - fair trade

Comments

  1. This looks like a really interesting box! That's a lot of products for such a reasonable price as well. Although I don't get periods due to my contraceptive implant, I love the idea of receiving something to make you feel a bit better when you feel rubbish!
    Loved this post, thanks for sharing!
    Beth x
    Adventure & Anxiety

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It's definitely a great idea xo

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Passion #ThursdayThoughts

Hello lovely people,
I hope you're having a wonderful day and have spent moments doing something you really enjoy.
As you're reading this I am helping at my Sixth Form open evening and last Thursday I was doing the exact same, except that it was for the entire school. Whilst wondering the Chemistry department I came across a year 7 boy, short in height, friendly and, more than ever, passionate about what he was doing in that moment. 
He asked me: 'can I show you how to do this experiment?' and although, I've done the test for hydrogen many times over the course of my school career, I said yes because I could see the excitement in his eyes to talk me through what he was doing. As he added the Magnesium to the Hydrochloric acid I placed my thumb over the test tube and he lit a wooden splint in the bunsen burner. He swiftly brought the splint over and got me to move my hand a squeaky pop sound could be heard, indicating that hydrogen was present. Hearing the pop his …

Blogs are like Trains

I never thought I'd be posting a blog post similar to this one because I try to make and take each blog post as their own and my blog itself seems to fall under no category but I feel I need to write this for myself. For my own piece of mind.

I started this blog over two years ago, in fact, almost three years and I guess time really does fly when you're having fun. Those two years have flown by so quickly and I've only really been writing for an audience, thanks to some of my social media platforms, for a year and, my oh my, has this little space grown. I've received comments on most of the posts I've published since and there are people who actively choose to come back and say hello every time I post (they're some of my favourite people ever). I've discovered more blogs that I ever imagined the Internet could hold and I've loved every single one of them. You can't help but compare yourself but, luckily, I don't feel I have to compete to be bette…

A Day In My Life | Collaboration

I'm lucky, each day that goes by something totally different so when writing a day in my life post it's a little tricky to write about something which isn't consistent. So as much as today is the day I've chosen to share with you, it's not that 'normal' but something I enjoyed doing. This post is also a wonderful collaboration with Elizabeth from bethmay75.blogspot.co.uk! I'll leave all her links below so make sure to have a look and a read. 
07:40 - Wake up! So lovely not having to get up at 6am for work and having a lovely, refreshing nights sleep.
08:00 - Sit up! I spent a little time finishing off my vlog for today and uploading and publishing it on my vlogging channel 'Extra Emsi'.
09:00 - Shower time! A quick wash before getting dressed, doing my make up and hair.
09:30 - Walkies! Off on a dog walk with my happy pooch Ebony. I love her so very much.

10:00 - Breakfast! Has a toasted bagel with butter, delicious!

10:20 - Left my house to wa…